The York Herald
Saturday August 11th 1844
The religious services connected with the opening of the newly erected chapel in this village, commenced on Wednesday last. Mr Rattenbury, of Manchester, preached at half-past two in the afternoon and again at half-past six in the evening, to crowded and respectable congregations. The chapel is large and commodious, capable of seating 400 persons, besides ample space on the floor for the poor and those who are unable to take sittings. Behind the pulpit is an excellent school-room for the Sabbath scholars, which has two large openings into the chapel, sufficient to allow the scholars to hear and join in the services of the chapel on the Sabbath, without the inconvenience and noise attendant to taking them out of the school. The plan is excellent and worthy of the attention of other country chapels.
The Members and Friends of Methodism at Stillington are greatly indebted to Mr Farrar of that place for securing them a spacious and excellent chapel; he has spared no exertion, aided by the valuable assistance of his son, Mr Robert Farrar.
There was a large number of Wesleyans and Friends from York and the surrounding villages and every effort had been made to make them comfortable. Mr Farrar had generously provided an excellent dinner and subsequent refreshments at Mr Noah Wynn’s establishment – The White Bear Public House.
The preaching of Mr Rattenbury was effective and delicately eluded to the loss lately sustained in the death of Mrs Farrar, who took a lively interest in the building of the chapel. Several members of the congregation were moved to tears.
The kindness of the Lady of Colonel Croft in voluntarily inviting the visitors to Stillington Hall to view the gardens which surround the mansion was duly appreciated.
The day will be long remembered with delight. The two collections amounted to a handsome sum, and exceeded the sanguine expectations of the trustees.