Please click on an image to get the enlarged version.
See also the Croft family, sale of Stillington Hall 1894 lot No 3
Early 20th Century Postcard.
What is believed to be a wedding party posing on the bridge. Thought to be the Wood Family.
The Dutch style millhouse, dating from the early 17th Century, can be seen in this postcard. This was built by the Croft family, the architect being a friend of theirs.
The flywheel of a stationary engine can be seen on the left of this image. When water levels were low the engine would have been used to power the mill.
c1937 The Mill Dam.
Note the sluice gate. This one was used to return water from the dam to the River Foss, regulating the water level in the dam.
Early 20th Century.
An excellent view of the Mill, its house
and the mill bridge. Note the gated Skeugh lane.
c1930 A view of the Mill Dam
Please view the next image which is taken from a very similar position in 1999
1999 A view of the Mill Dam
A similar view to the previous image
but taken approximately 70 years later.
Note the extension to the West end also the Water Wheel is now enclosed with a glass canopy on the North side
c1910 A front view of the Mill
A view of the front of the Mill from the early 1900s ( South Elevation )
At the rear of the Mill was a substantial garden and looking at this image the Miller also had a good supply of eggs. Please view the next image taken in 1999 from a similar position.
1999 A view of the of the front of the Mill
This image taken from a similar position
to the previous one, but some 90 years later.
Pre 1903 - as yet we have no name for the person in the image
Note no Home Farm in the Background.
Home Farm was built around 1910.
Please view the next image.
2011 See previous image
This up to date image of the previous one shows Home Farm clearly visible in the background, the X marks the position where the person is stood and was taken some 109 years later. Note how the Mill outflow has silted up.
Early 20th century view of the Mill Dam
If you click on the image to enlarge it and see two people, who are just visible in this image sat on a fence in the garden to the rear of the Mill, just to the right of these two a small girl dressed in white can be seen.
Mary and David Green paddling a collapsible canoe along the leat that fed the mill dam. Note the sizeable water course.
Mid 20th Century aerial view.
A fantastic photograph showing the mill with its elegant 17th Century Dutch style house behind. (Sadly this was later demolished).
The mill is still in production and the house occupied - there's a wisp of smoke coming from the chimney and there's a tidy vegetable plot at the rear of the house.
A family snap. Arthur and Dora Shepherd with their son Geoff, who was to be the last miller at Stillington Mill.
Dora was the daughter of Tom and Annie Gibson who between them ran the mill for over thirty years.
1946 Newspaper Clipping.
Is Stillington the noisiest village? This article, probably from The Yorkshire Gazette, tries to determine this by touring the village interviewing, among others, the miller Ned Gibson. See the page 'Noisiest Village' to read the full text.
1962 Newspaper Article.
From The Yorkshire Press on the closure of Stillington Mill.