Please click on an image to get the enlarged version
Main Street c1900.
looking east with The Bay Horse Public House and Wellington House on the right. Cottages on the left near the sycamore tree were demolished to be replaced by the present Primary School (in 1907)
Main Street c1903
Looking west towards High Street with The White Bear Public House first left.
High Street c1910.
Looking east. No railings. The lady and children in the bottom right corner are waiting to go into the grocery shop.
High Street c1920.
Looking west. Extreme left Tenniswood's grocery shop and further up the same side Summersgill's dairy.
1907 Main Street.
Looking west. Wheelbarrow advertising the B.A.T.A. stores in the road. Blacksmith Eustace Burnett just visible on the left.
Main Street 1904.
High Street c1949.
Looking west before the removal of two cottages and a wall to be replaced by Carr View as seen in picture opposite.
High Street c1950.
Carr View, a double terrace of six houses,was built by the local council as part of a series of regeneration schemes after WW2. They were occupied by village families.
Main Street 1904
Looking east.The sycamore tree, a dominant feature in Main Street scenes, can just be seen as it is bare of leaves. Cottages from The White Dog are still standing. 39 people have been counted in this photograph.
Main Street c1912
Looking west towards High Street. A young copper beech tree can be seen in the churchyard. An oil lamp hangs over the entrance to Souter's shop (first left).
High Street c1935.
Looking east. Note that the paths on the right hand side are still unpaved. The fifth house on the left, belonging to Watson Manson, was demolished and replaced.
High Street c1985
An aerial view of the top of High Street. The houses from right to left are: Cottage Farm, Rivendell and Erimus Cottage.
Main Street c1929
Looking west from The Hall gates. The boy leading a goat is Cecil Wood, the others are unknown.
Main Street c1935.
A good view of the north side of Main Street as the viewer looks east. The roofline of the old Methodist chapel is just visible mid left of the photograph.
Looking west from the churchyard. The house with a sign over the door near the church gates is the premises of Hope Coal Merchants. On the opposite side of the road is the Primitive Methodist chapel with the tall house, called 'The Lighthouse', next to it
High Street c1944
A hand coloured post card. The roadsign pointing to York has been removed - to confuse the Germans in case of invasion. The parked car belongs to the district nurse.
Carr Lane Junction c1910
Looking from Main Street. Primitive Methodist Chapel on the left with the wall and railings in front. Sign post in place: this doesn't appear in very early photographs.
Carr Lane Junction c1935
An almost identical view to the postcard opposite, but in intervening 25 years railings and telephone poles have been put up and the roads tarmacked.