Our Village Hall at Stillington started life as the local school. It became redundant in 1907 with the opening of our present primary school. After twenty years of underuse serious concerns were raised about the repair of the building and in January 1928 a public meeting was held to discuss the matter. The decision was made that the old school shouldn't be allowed to simply decay but that it should be used as a parochial hall for the benefit of the community.
Funds were raised by public subscription, and a grant was obtained from the Church Commissioners on the assurance that the residents of Marton and Moxby, their tenants, could have use of the proposed Hall. These funds enabled the old school to be renovated and transformed with the addition of a kitchen, ladies' toilets and a fuel store.
The Village Hall was opened in September 1929, by 'Squire' Matthew Liddell, owner of Stillington Hall, with local MP Robin Turton as guest of honour. The event was well attended, as can be seen from the pictures below. It's also clear from those photographs that the whitewash or render had been removed to reveal the brick below.
1962 saw further changes with a large extension being added to the facade. This contained a lobby, toilets, storage and a committee room. At that time the foundation stone was moved to its present position on the north wall of this new addition to the old building.
Today our Village Hall still plays a large part in Stillington's, and Marton's and Moxby's, community life and is undergoing refurbishment which will enable it to continue in that role for many years to come.
If you would like to book our historic Village Hall, or enquire about any event held there, please contact Bob Brown: email@example.com
Please click on an image to get the enlarged version.
Site Last Updated - 24/11/2014 19:42:44