Cog Icon signifying link to Admin page

Stillington and District Community Archive

In the Heart of North Yorkshire



Stillington Church

The Yorkshire Gazette 28th April 1841 
On Thursday last, the church at the village of Stillington, which has undergone a thorough repair and has been enlarged, was re-opened for divine service. It being known that first rate vocal talent had been engaged for this occasion no little stir was caused among the inhabitants, and at an early hour in the morning the village was filled with visitors. Mr Barker, Mr Lee and Masters Hopkinson, Frankish and Wilkinson all from the choir of the Cathedral and Mr Wilkinson and Signor de Branuhelder, rendered their assistance. The following members of the choral society also attended, viz., Mr Stewardson, principal violincello, Mr B Hardman, double bass, Mr Walker, clarinet, Mr B Wilkinson, trombone. Messrs Swnn and Watson, flutes, Messrs Pape and Judson second violins, Mr Dodd, bassoon, and Mr Webb, trumpet.
Mr Dennis was the leader, and Mr Hunt the conductor. The service commenced with 100th psalm, which was executed in a masterly style, as were also the Te Deum and Jubilate &c and the anthem ‘Hosanna’. The sermon was preached by Rev. Thomas Croft from Luke X,.23, 24. After the sermon a collection was made amounting to £22. In the afternoon, the church again was most densely crowded, the aisles being filled and about 100 people were unable to gain admittance. Another collection was made which amounted to about £8.

Site Search